Financial Assistance

There are several different financial assistance programs available to those who qualify. Our staff are happy to walk you through the options available. You can reach an Eligibility Specialist by calling 707-995-4200. Application information can be found on this page under the Eligibility heading.

Available Programs

  • CalWORKs/Cash Aid
  • General Relief
  • Diversion


Assistance available through the CalWORKs, also known as Cash Aid, program is time limited for adults; it is designed to provide eligible, needy families with temporary cash assistance and services. Once a family has met the eligibility requirements, cash payments are made on a monthly basis to help pay for housing, food, utilities and other necessary expenses. The amount of assistance a family receives is determined by many factors including family size and income. Additional payments can also be made if there are special circumstances such as pregnancy or homelessness. Assistance payments are recalculated on a semi-annual basis utilizing updated information received from the family. Most CalWORKs recipients are also eligible for assistance through the Medi-Cal and CalFresh programs.

CalWORKs recipients have the option of receiving their cash benefits through an EBT card or they may have benefit direct deposited into their bank account. The EBT card can be used at designated retailers or ATMs to access their monthly cash grant and CalFresh benefits.

For more information, contact us or visit the California Department of Social Services site.

General Relief

The General Relief (GR) program is a county-funded general assistance voucher program for indigent county residents, which offers repayable benefits. The GR Program provides necessary assistance to eligible persons who are without resources to meet their minimum basic needs for food, housing, utilities, clothing and medical care. The employable General Relief recipients shall be prohibited from receiving General Relief for more than three months in any twelve-month period. The medical care is provided through the County Medical Services Program. Unless disabled, GR recipients must participate in the County approved employment plan. Persons in receipt of General Relief based on a disability that is expected to last for more than 12 months must apply for and cooperate fully in the application process for Social Security State Supplemental Income (SSI). If a GR recipient is approved for SSI benefits, the County receives a payment to repay the benefits received. GR recipients may also be eligible to receive assistance under the CalFresh program.


The purpose of Diversion Services is to provide necessary assistance to stabilize a family's situation and divert the family from the need to receive ongoing CalWORKs assistance. Such payments are only made at the time of application when the family meets initial eligibility requirements, but does not need ongoing financial assistance. An example of this is when a family has fallen on hard times, has income in the following months, but needs help getting caught up on bills like rent, car payment, etc.


These programs are available to those who meet eligibility requirements. Find out if you are eligible:

  • Online at the BenefitsCal website
  • By phone:
    Toll Free: 800-628-5288
    Phone: 707-995-4200
    TTY: 711
    Monday through Friday
    8 am to 5 pm
  • In person:
    15975 Anderson Ranch Parkway
    Lower Lake, CA 95457
    Monday through Friday
    8 am to 5 pm
  • By mail application packets and a variety of forms in English and Spanish are available for pick up outside our lobby entrance without need to enter the lobby, and can be returned by:
    • Drop boxes located by the main doors and front gate
    • Fax: 707-995-4204
    • Mail to:
      P.O. Box 9000
      Lower Lake, CA 95457